Thursday May 15, 6:30PM
Come learn the story of the Napa River and about its current health. Find out how we can protect and enjoy it. Discover paddling destinations and fishing hot spots.
Jonathan Koehler of the Resource Conservation District, Bernhard Krevet of Friends of the Napa River, Laurie Aboudara-Robertson of Kayak Napa Valley and Bob Arwine, Master Fly Fisherman, will speak.
Discussions will follow.
Everyone is welcome.
When: May 4, 2014, 2pm – 4pm
Where: Napa River Inn — Plaza
Please join us to celebrate the life of Jim Hench, 1929-2014. Twenty years ago he was one of the founding board members of Friends of the Napa River. We loved him as the man to take you out on the river, by canoe or kayak, from the wetlands in American Canyon to the headwaters in Calistoga.
Friends mourn the loss of Jim Hench
Jim Hench was one of the founding board members of Friends of the Napa River. He will be sorely missed with his intimate knowledge of the river’s wildlife, topography and hydrology. But mostly he was known to be the man to take you out on the river, by canoe or kayak, from the wetlands in American Canyon to the headwaters in Calistoga. We are all very, very sad for this loss of a friend.
Thanks to Janelle Wetzstein who reported compassionately in the Napa Valley Register of February 28, 2014:
“Local residents are mourning the loss of Jim Hench, Napa River aficionado and protector, who died Friday after a seven-year battle with cancer. He celebrated his 85th birthday on Jan. 23.
Hench was known for helping to found Friends of the Napa River — a grassroots nonprofit started in 1994 that was dedicated to transforming the Napa River into a flood-protected environmental asset.
Most notably, in 1998, Hench’s advocacy helped pass Measure A — a countywide half-cent sales tax that funded the local share of flood and environmental projects in Napa County.”
So many fond memories of Jim:
February 20, 2014
The Friends of the Napa River, Inc., an environmental non-profit, seeks high energy, self-starter executive for part-time management position.
- Management and growth of all-volunteer Board of Directors. Work with Board to assist in driving our mission, friend-raising, and fundraising.
- Fund development of private donors and grants; grant writing.
- Financial management including budgeting, financial controls, and doing more with less.
- Public relations, marketing, and advocacy out in the community driving our mission and goals.
- Volunteer management including day-to-day tasks as well as event direction and coordination.
- Knowledge of 21st century internet and social media / web 2.0 savviness.
Required skills, attributes and education:
- Bachelor’s degree. 5 or more years of work experience preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding interpersonal and diplomatic skills; ability to build trust and build rapport with a broad range of people. Friendly, outgoing and professional demeanor.
- Maturity of judgment, high degree of integrity and discretion, high degree of self-motivation and taking initiative.
- Ability to work well in a small, entrepreneurial setting, taking on multiple tasks and adapting as our needs and priorities change.
- Ability to work in an organization that requires collaboration with like-minded organizations.
Part time position averaging twenty five (25) hours per week with salary compensation depending on experience. Stipends for cell phone, gas allowance, and partial health may be considered. Our expectation is that the individual will work from his / her own home with significant amount of time out in the community.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, three professional references, and a specific outline describing why you are the ideal person to lead the Friends’ organization. Review of applications will begin immediately but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. All replies will be held in complete confidence.
Please send by email to: NapaEnviroED@Gmail.com.
Only responses to the above email address will be considered. Please do not contact individual Board members.
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- November 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011